Who is Homeless?
The term "homeless children and youth"-
- means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence...; and
- children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason: are living motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters;are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting permanent foster care placement.
- children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.
- children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similarly setting; and
- migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses 1-3.